Views this Week!

Traveling the World Through the Five Senses

north vietnam hat

Hello! I’m Camille, and I am a photographer based in Provence, France. I like to capture various travel adventures and moments of everyday life by simply enjoying the present. I believe in the beauty of simplicity and document natural stories in the most organic way possible. To me, traveling means seeking our emotions in order to learn more about the world. I remember and share these moments and lessons on my blog and especially my Instagram.

Traveling With the Five Senses

In this time of limited access to travel (even beyond our own homes!), I’ve found myself scrolling through images from past trips, longing for an adventure. Certain images make my subconscious recall a specific taste or smell, maybe the sounds of a bustling street. Isn’t it amazing how memories and descriptions can evoke a sensory response? Today I am taking you on a tour of five destinations I’ve traveled to over the years, and exploring each with one of the five senses. I hope the picture I paint of each place gives you a little window through which you can still explore while being home.

A Taste Stroll in Tokyo 

Japan is an exotic, fascinating, and electrifying destination to explore taste through. It goes without saying that from one culture to another, we discover new flavors and delights. Japan was an opportunity to test a healthier way to eat. I turned to traditional cuisine as I was intrigued by the idea of tasting dishes in a culture where the “superfluous on a plate” doesn’t exist. Tokyo, in particular, is a game of diverse culinary discovery, organized according to district.

My first taste discovery was during a picnic with a Japanese friend under the sakura during hanami in Shinjuku Gyoen Park. Yukiko served matcha tea and introduced me to the traditional pastries called Wagashi (mochi or white or red beans) that represent cherry blossoms.

Mystical and intriguing, Tokyo takes me tastefully off the beaten track. It is an opportunity to walk the streets, especially that of Omoide Yokocko, to discover the yakitori, which are skewers of vegetables and chicken. Passing by the district of small bars called Golden Gai, a place to discover for its originality and atmosphere, but above all known for tasting plum wine (Umeshu), sake, Japanese sweet potato (Shochu), and some appetizers like edamame (immature soybean), and senbei (rice crackers).

The dishes that I enjoy the most during this vibrant journey were buckwheat noodles (soba), rice noodles (Kitsune Udon) in broth with tofu, new onions, a Japanese “omelet” named Okonomiyaki made from flour, water, egg and vegetables, and of course the maki cucumber. For fun, a special cone pancake that was popularized in Harajuku and has endless taste variations. When traveling, culinary discovery can quickly become a taste game that we can regret with humor or savor at every moment.

exploring japan through taste

exploring japan through taste

tasting matcha in japan

tasting matcha in japan

cherry blossoms mochi

cherry blossoms mochi

exploring japan through taste

exploring tokyo through taste

exploring tokyo through taste

exploring japan through taste

exploring japan through taste

exploring japan through taste

The Smells of the Funchal Market 

Once I took a little walk in the heart of Funchal, Portugal. I loved the sweet atmosphere while walking in the pretty alleys of this city. I stopped to admire the fruits and delicacies at the local market. When we travel, we are used to adapting to the ambient air without dwelling on it. A scent passes in a second and remains stealthy. Sometimes an olfactory memory, however fleeting it may be, remains engraved in our memory. As simple as it sounds, for me in Funchal it was the gourmet scents emanating from the local market that still make me drool. Can you smell the flowers, fruits and spices?

The Smells of the Funchal Market

The Smells of the Funchal Market

Funchal Market Portugal

Funchal Market Portugal

funchal market portugal

traveling with the senses portugal

traveling with the senses portugal

funchal market flowers

funchal market flowers

funchal market flowers

Welcoming Through Touch in North Vietnam

Vietnam resonates in me as an authentic and warm country, but I didn’t expect to leave so touched by certain meetings that I still carry in my heart. There are a thousand and one ways to be touched, but here, apart from the smiles, laughter, and friendly looks, I was surprised by such a kind, tactile welcome. I was often invited by Vietnamese locals to share a humble moment around a tea. The gesture of these people came naturally to me as a tender friendship proposed.

Whether to greet, express joy, or show tenderness, I have often seen my hands caught in the hands of others, as to cover them or protect them with kindness. My shoulders or back were often patted gently. The kids would play, and I could hear the little girls behind me whispering and laughing knowingly while braiding my hair gently. I tell myself today that communication can go through a word or a look, but above all, through a gesture. Let’s not be afraid to be warm and open to communication. 

north vietnam travel with senses

north vietnam travel with senses

north vietnam travel with senses

north vietnam travel waterfall

north vietnam travel waterfall

north vietnam travel

north vietnam local

north vietnam local

north vietnam puppies

north vietnam water boat

north vietnam tea

north vietnam tea

Seeing the Beauty of Madeira’s Landscapes

The natural beauty of Madeira, Portugal attracts the most hiking enthusiasts, sun, and especially nature lovers. Madeira, nicknamed the island of flowers in spring, is a haven of peace where it’s good to clear your mind. It’s nonetheless a real visual “slap” thanks to its astonishing bio-diversity. There you’ll find green mountains, cliffs, steep valleys, flowers, cityscapes, tropical gardens, and ocean. It remains a small, preserved paradise where the climate remains ideal all year round. You can simply go from one side of the small island to another to experience traveling to a different universe. Madeira is a visual delight.

madeira travel city

madeira travel portugal

madeira travel portugal island

madeira travel island

madeira travel island

madeira travel portugal nature

madeira travel portugal nature

madeira travel portugal flowers

madeira travel portugal island

madeira travel portugal island

madeira travel portugal island

madeira travel portugal island

madeira travel portugal island

The Lulling Sounds of Provence

The place where I’ve lived since my childhood is Provence, in France, more particularly in the Luberon. In winter, I never tire of hearing the Mistral, a cold wind traveling over the plains of the Mediterranean basin, blowing and sometimes whistling in my ears, lifting my skirt to end up tangling my hair. It reassures me in the evening when he makes the shutters of my house roar and rock since my childhood. When the summer comes, I rejoice to hear the sound of cicadas. It’s time to go out and enjoy the sounds of my village: the rustling of olive leaves, the people chatting on a café terrace, the sound of a local market, this joy that we hear through the laughter of good weather finally arrived. Provence is a delight for all the senses, and a pure joy to listen to.

luberon provence

luberon provence

luberon provence tree

luberon provence tree

luberon provence cafe

luberon provence flowers

luberon provence flowers

luberon provence

luberon provence

luberon provence

luberon provence selfie

Camille is a photographer based in Provence, France. You can find more of her work on her blog and Instagram.

Want to explore more destinations from the safety of your screen? Check out all of the Local Milk Wander Guides to see where in the world I’ve been, eaten, and, well… wandered in the last several years!


https://ift.tt/3dBGbdk
Traveling the World Through the Five Senses Traveling the World Through the Five Senses Reviewed by Kritik Sah on March 31, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.